I review the Luchs, a tier 4 German light tank in World of Tanks (WoT), with a replay of a tier 7 Tundra battle.
Stat line: Ace Tanker, 1.4k damage, 3 kills, 2 spots
The Luchs is an incredibly mobile burst damage dealer, but the player needs to manage the autocannon carefully. By applying the tactics discussed in this guide, I averaged a 4k WN8 and 70% win rate through 100 solo battles with silver ammo only.
Strengths and Weaknesses
+ superb turning radius
+ excellent burst damage per clip (300)
+ excellent top speed
+ good silver ammo penetration relative to its peers
+ good acceleration
+ good camouflage
+ good frontal gun depression of -8, goes up to -10 on the sides
– long clip reload (~16 sec)
– very poor accuracy (0.50)
– gun handling is poor, lots of reticle bloom on movement
– very susceptible to being tracked
– somewhat large profile for a light tank
3. Vents: the best of the remaining options, given that the tank can’t mount a Rammer and it’s an excellent active scout so Binocs and Camo Net don’t provide as much value
1. Reload for the autocannon is ~16 sec not 20 sec
2. Per fstd on Reddit: VERY important thing that [Taugrim] neglected to mention: The 30mm cannon has a limited range, the shells just disappear after about 420m IIRC (you can see the exact range in-game if you right click on the gun). XVM users can set it up to provide you with a circle that indicates this range. The gun isn’t just bad at sniping – it is quite literally incapable of it. Don’t even bother shooting at stuff outside of view range, because the gun’s range is definitely less than 445m
This video is part of my „Road to Unicum“ series in which I share what I learned as I progressed towards account Unicum rating (top 1%) with silver ammo only. I talk through how I’m reading the battle as it unfolds and discuss key decisions and mistakes. My hope is that these videos meaningfully help players improve their gameplay.
„Road to Unicum“ full guide and FAQs:
If you want to support my WoT habit (thanks that’s generous of you), you can send me gold in-game, or you can donate via PayPal or by shopping on Amazon: